All the world's a Mall and all men and women merely shoppers!

Friday, August 21, 2009

Retro in the Metro: The Design Files


I’ve always been a very colourful person. If it’s not colour, it’s texture. Though design has never been my forte, I’ve always had an opinion on how graphics look like and work on a certain medium. Working in a fashion magazine does to a large extent prepare you for the design element. We are always fighting with the art and design team over where products have to be placed or where we need to make rearrangements. And over the years, I’ve somehow learn to appreciate the normal yet creative things that surround my work. My layouts that are almost fed into my psyche, the little details, the smallest of ideas, the design intrusions and the exuberant colours. Fonts, spaces and kerning is another call altogether. But while we sit here talking about design, I must give in that disclaimer that I’m not a pro when it comes to art and design. If not anything, I am a voyeur, a glimpse, an idea at the most. And today, as I glance upon things, books, magazines, ideas, and posters- anything, I know that they are the sum of a whole and the only thing that ties them closer is perhaps design. Which is why I was pleasantly surprised when Elle came up with this really nice design cover for their supplement. If design is my manna, retro is my flavour. And Elle, as a magazine has the best layouts, the latent design elements and a lot of consistency. And the August Issue with Katrina on the cover is good too, but this small little gift that came with it, is my idea of fun. In India, there are very few magazines that garner such a reputation. And while Elle remains a creative enigma, the supplement is my inspiration for the day. Note the flowy colours, the underlying passion and the pop.

Tell me, What makes your eyes pop these days?

0 comments:

About Me

Adore italics. Love bullet points. Absolutely paranoid about commas and extremely addicted to one-word sentences. In love with three people: Jason Bourne, Michael Corleone and my husband. Like reading while eating. Obsessed with traveling, writing and shopping. And let me add, shopping for anything that involves a healthy exchange of dirty notes for clothes and accessories. Want an Andy Warhol portrait of myself. Dreaming of Manolos and Jimmy Choos. Think Marc Jacobs rocks. Both his collection and his six packs. Don’t have any designer wear but know every designer and brand due to extensive magazine reading capabilities. South Indian with an accent that comes out during autorickshaw drives. Own my independence and love the fact that I have achieved what I set out to. Been a copywriter, event management trainee, Public relations executive and more. Ended up in lifestyle Journalism cause my goal in life is to let you know where to party, what to wear and what to eat along with where you can get a super haircut at the cheapest rates. I currently work in a reputed Fashion magazine in India and I'm neurotic.